Monday, February 25, 2008

Integrating into the Visthar Community

Today has been a very good day. After being greeted first thing this morning by Hakash, my 3 year old neighbor, and a new puppy, an excellent breakfast and tea (and a run-in with an elderly and agressive monkey) we met with the Visthar program staff, who were back after the weekend. First we saw Mercy, one of the directors, a bright and fiesty woman I so respect and admire. We promptly sat in the sun and caught up after the six years since we've seen each other. Next came the same with Sham (who directs the Bandhavi program), a man I remembered for his kind spirit. It was so joyous. Coffee came soon, and we joined the circle of people sitting on cushions on the floor in the morning staff meeting. The woman facilitating shared a reading with the group and we all introduced ourselves. Sham asked us, "How many months or years will you stay?" After being so graciously received and being so inspired (yet again) by this beautiful place and these strong and gentle people it's so hard to say, "two months." There have been moments since I have arrived when I've thought, "Oh, I already don't want to leave!" and our experience this morning was one of them. I feel so lucky to belong to this group.

The administrative building of Visthar is sprawling with several offices, desks, reading spaces, and meeting spaces with a large open-air pond in the middle, complete with blooming lotus flowers. All day Ambryn and I (both having worked in the social service sector in cinder block buildings or dreary basements) marveled and wondered what it would be like to work in such an environment for a significant period of time. I so value the culture of work here. They work incredibly hard and are so dedicated, but also take the time to sit with each other and drink coffee or tea and eat cake (or biscuits or pekoras...), twice a day. They also eat lunch together with other members of the community. There is so much laughter.

Ambryn and I began our work day by rearranging some desks and setting up our temporary office. Today we did research on India's five year plan relating to disasters, preparing for an upcoming conference on Gender and Disaster in Asia, which is happening here, next week. Tomorrow we will particpate in programs the Bandhavi children are performing for a donar/funder from Germany, and Wednesday we will map out exactly what this internship will look like. Ambryn is excited because it looks like she'll be able to do dance/movement with the girls, as creative endeavors are so valued here. You can see some of the art around Visthar in the link to my photos.

For someone who was wary of blogging I find myself so excited to share what I'm learning here. (To those of you who know me well I'm sure this is not a surprise.) I will probably blog somewhat regulary during these first days when everything is "new." But don't fret, dear reader, once we settle into more of a routine I'm sure I won't write quite as much. We also have especially good access this week as the SOP students are gone, but we may have more of a struggle for computer access later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, I have to insist that you continue to write daily novellas. If those SOP students take up the computers, I will come over there and chase them off, I am serious!
-andy